A record-breaking history.
The extraordinary achievements of a company that revolutionised motorsport and tuning.
Abarth & C. was founded in Bologna on 31 March 1949.
Like many automotive firms of the time, it bore the name of its main founder, Carlo Abarth - who incorporated the company together with his friend Guido Scagliarini - and it took the Scorpion, symbol of his sign of the zodiac, Scorpio, as its badge.
The first cars built were models belonging to Cisitalia - in receivership at the time - which Piero Dusio ceded to Carlo Abarth in payment for his work for the Turin firm. Abarth also kept on 20 Cisitalia workers and the company's site at Via Trecate 10 in Turin.
The Cisitalia-Abarth 204A sports car performed impressively in road races from the outset, but it was in the 1950 Palermo-Montepellegrino hill climb that it recorded its biggest success. Abarth distinguished itself for the category victory achieved by the great Tazio Nuvolari, competing in - and winning - the last race of his legendary career.
This marked the start of the Scorpion myth.